Friday, August 08, 2008

I'm going to see - Yelle


French music is so hot right now.

Well, not just now. From quite a while back, really. The French bought us the likes of Daft Punk, Air, Bomfunk MCs (and their one-hit wonder), Mr. Oizo and Martin Solveig. Formidable.

But these days, its a freaking explosion of Musicien francais: Justice. SebastiAn. Kavinsky. The Teenagers. DJ Mehdi. Uffie. Vitalic. Gildas & Masaya. Mr. Flash. TEPR. And of course, Yelle.

Yelle got herself famous for a track saying a French hiphop star has a small dick. And she hasn't looked back. Partly because it's still one of her biggest singles - Je Veux Te Voir. Her style is termed as "electropop", which I guess in the end is probably the closest interpretation, but I'd fear to lump her in with the pop crowd (maybe its just my hate of the word "pop"...)

She's another one of those artists that remixes just superbly, and I've heard better things about her live performances that I have about her album Pop-Up.
A remix of her track A Cause De Garcons (mixed by Riot in Belgium) was on a Need For Speed installment, but the best thing to come of this feisty French chick's music is a little remix of the same track by TEPR:



Rumour has it TEPR does some touring with Yelle's band, but I have no idea if he's going to be there on Sunday afternoon - here's hoping.

Gotta go - time to practise my Tecktonik.

No comments: