Thursday, August 07, 2008

I'm going to see - Biffy Clyro(?)


Later in the afternoon on Saturday, I've got to make the toughest decision of the festival - choosing between the electro-rock monster that is Does it Offend You, Yeah?, and the mildly-delirious Scottish rock beast of Biffy Clyro. And much as I want to see a black man in pyjamas jumping around on stage, the 3 years I've loved Biffy dictate that it's high time I check them out.

My mate Dhiresh hooked me up with two of Biffy's first three albums, Vertigo of Bliss [2003] and Infinity Land [2005] back in '06 (cheers Mocha Bear). Their eclectic style (many tracks containing both ballad-y melodies and loud screaming) is one that interested me, but I could see how they were a fairly inaccessible band. I wasn't likely to put one of their albums on in the car, for fear of the passengers leaping out at red lights. Still, I thought they were pretty awesome, and tracks like Bodies In Flight and Diary of Always got regular airplay on my 'Pod.

Last year Biffy released Puzzle, which while still sounding unceasingly like the Biffy of old, is a huge step in the direction of accessibility. It flows superbly as an album, and each track maintains that feel of discord while keeping everything within a logical realm. Its kind of as though until now Biffy were a moshpit where everyone wanted to punch you in the face (ie. fun but exhausting), and now suddenly the whole pit is working together to propel everyone into chaotic and frivolous madness.

Searching Youtube should find you their older stuff along with a few tracks from Puzzle, along with the first (seriously awesome) single Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies, as embedded below.
Other recommendations include the choir fuelled discordant 9/15ths and the numerous covers you can find on youtube, including a fantastic one of Franz Ferdninands Take Me Out. Warning: It starts beautifully, but it doesn't stay that way for long.



Biffy toured here in March, but thanks to being in China I missed them (and Modest Mouse...). Here's hoping they still want to kick ass for the Osaka massive. Mon the Biffy!

5 comments:

His Whoreness said...

Sorry Tim, but I'd still rather see DIOY,Y? - I really would

djbigted said...

I know Jake - you've made yourself quite clear. Thing is, I'm the one who's going, and you're the one who's wishing you were.

His Whoreness said...

That goes without saying

Anonymous said...

They sort of have a Foo Fighters-esh sound to them. I like it.

Anonymous said...

I saw Biffy Clyro in Glasgow at the weekend. Awesome stuff!