Friday, August 08, 2008

I'm going to see - Santogold



OK, so these acts are supposed to be the "lesser knowns", but if you don't know Santogold, well, you really should. Shame on you. But here's hoping you know her for the talent she is, and not the pop sensation she may well be becoming.

The common description is to compare Santogold to M.I.A. ("all I wanna do is bang bang bang and take yo' money..."). And to be fair, they've both got that jungle hip-hop vibe going on. But that's where the comparison ends - Santogold achieves a sound that makes M.I.A. sound cheap and nasty, genuine underground hip-hop-cum-electro that is just plain quality. Her album is well worth the price of admission, and she's hot without looking "sell-out hot". Plus collaborations and remixes with the likes of Switch, Diplo, TEPR and Sinden, she's heading in all the right directions.

L.E.S. Artistes is her only single with a video (that I could find), but my personal favourite is Say Aha (especially TEPR's remix). You'll Find a Way is also mint.



We can only hope The Neptunes don't get their hooks in her too badly. I'd rather see her in a collab with Boys Noize than with Snoop Dogg.

No comments: