Friday, August 08, 2008

I'm going to see - South Central



The final installment in this showcase of exciting fresh musical goodness is my pick for Sunday evening - bar Pendulum, whom I've already mentioned here before. Brighton self-proclaimed "experimental/punk/electro" madmen South Central have nailed themselves a formidable 4.45 set time on Sunday, and their NLLR mixtape is enough to make me want to see them purely for a DJ set.

When I found out this afternoon they were playing live, I was excited but apprehensive. Now that I've downloaded their album The Owl of Minerva, I'm just excited.

They're another one of those we-can-play-but-we-also-dj bands, but their sound seems quite a bit heavier than their counterparts. They're big on static, big on twisting knobs and warping the sound in the middle (something I think 2manydjs made famous, but now everyone does - not that I'm complaining), and big on yelling. I also happen to be big on yelling. How...convenient.

Here's The Golden Dawn - that robot-y voice reminds me of We Are Rockstars. There's also a few live sets kicking around which are well worth checking out.

No comments: