Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I'm going to see - Crystal Castles


So Crystal Castles are probably the band I know least about of the ones I want to see, but I'm making amends for that this week, via the wonder of the intertubes.

First up on my list of stops is the effervescent wikipedia, who (after directing me away from the wiki on the 1983 Atari Game of the same name) tell me the band - a DJ/vocalist duo from Toronto - are named after Crystal Castle from She-Ra rather than said game. Which I find ironic, because the band sound a hell of a lot more like an 8-bit video game than a lesbian warrior. Actually, maybe a bit of both.

Youtube will give you insight into CC's sound, which is like someone took a Commodore 64 and played pinball on it - or took a pinball hammer to it, or perhaps both at the same time. Delicious 8-bit samples riding an edgy female vocal make them an act that gets you to sit up and listen - though Ethan (the DJ) does have other releases under CCs name that are very laidback (and just as 8-bitty). The standout track is Courtship Dating, though everything from the chilled out Crimewave to the can't-you-see-I'm-DANCING-HERE xxzczx me are all entertaining (and short, so surely you have no excuses not to check them out).




Extra: If you like this, you may well enjoy Anamanaguchi, who are my favourite "8-bit band". Below is Power Supply.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some more research would let you know that Crystal Castles are not respected by the Chiptune (8-bit Music) community, because they have sampled from other artists, without permission, and have made money off of those songs.

They also had a little tiff where they used someones artwork without permission, too.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/05/05/chiptune-music-theft-continues-crystal-castles-abuses-creative-commons-license/