Thursday, March 12, 2009

(Rugby World Cup) Final-ly


Warning: Kicking the ball between this post does not score 3 points.

I remember being ecstatic when NZ pulled out a coup and won the rights for the Rugby World Cup in 2011, but it was so long ago that I've actually lost touch with the fact that it will be played down under in September 2011.

Assuming NZ makes the final (which, as we all know, is less likely than not, given previous history), then it will be 1400 big ones to go see them try to break a losing streak that dates over 20 years now. However, if the exchange rate with yen is anything like it is right now, that's only 70,000 yen, i.e. a lot less than the Football WC Final was in Japan. So, I may well consider getting in there.

The reason this comes up is that it adds a spanner in the works of my travelling plans - which were to quit work and travel for the 9 months or so starting April 2010. But if I were to try to hit this, and I'm not the country in 2011 (seems unlikely atm), then it might be a bit much on the old savings. So, perhaps I should start in 2011 and finish up in NZ?
Having said that, I'll be 27 by then, and I like the idea of travelling before I get to the age that I'm thinking about being a bit more grounded and the like.
Hrmm. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

New post, much?