Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hit you with some Summer

Fuji Rock-Summer Sonic 09
Warning: This post is not recommend for those in need of some fiscal restraint.

First announcements are up for the two biggest gigs of Japan's summer: Fuji Rock Festival and Summer Sonic 2009.

They have left me physically struggling not to rip my wallet from my pocket and thrust my credit card digits cyber-ward to the online booking sites. Though it's only a matter of time - the moment I saw the line-ups it was a foregone conclusion that I was going.

Summer Sonic is celebrating it's 10th anniversary with an extra day of music, padding it out to a full 3 days (August 7-9). I have work on the Friday and Saturday, but I'll be taking it off for the likes of:
SS lineup1

Admittedly Miss Boots & Yuksek are the only artists I've yet to see that I'm absolutely gagging to, but I'm sure there is plenty of quality to come.

Usually Summer Sonic puts the wood on Fuji Rock for the hottest talent, due to its central city location (Tokyo, Osaka), with no need to camp out or shell out big money for transport.
However, Fuji have got one up this round in my book, with a first announcement that boasts:

Basement Jaxx
Ben Harper
The Bloody Beetroots
Crookers
Diplo
Fake Blood
Fall Out Boy
Franz Ferdinand
Japanese Popstars
M83
Patti Smith (wtf)
Royksopp
Simian Mobile Disco
Weezer
(full announcement here)
...damn.

Though one would hope and pray that the artists in bold will consider extra gigs in the rest of Japan, it looks like I'm renting a car and taking my leave for 3 days in beautiful, rainy Niigata. Hopefully it's not the mud-fest it was last time.

Anyone keen to come? It's gonna be a hell of a summer.

1 comment:

Mr Chris said...

Well. This is made me rethink my trip plans. What to do, what to do...?