Monday, June 16, 2008

Shopping

Warning: This post is both spontaneous and expensive.

So I walked into a CD store today. For the first time in around 6 months. Last time I attempted to do so was in the US, but apparently CD stores no longer exist there. iTunes and Limewire have run them out of business.

I like my music in hard copy. The cover art is fun, it's nice to have a version you can lend around (for any record companies asking, the lending is purely for the people to look at it, see how cool it is and immediately purchase it), and also I can't stand the license that iTunes slaps on its downloaded tracks. Feels like I'm buying something that isn't really mine. Not sure how that analogy works but thats the vibe I get.

Today's damage was to the tune of \22,000, or around US$220. Nice to see CDs getting cheaper though - I got 10 albums for that. Namely:

Weezer - Red Album A nice comeback from Rivers and the boys after the rather disappointing Make Believe. Still reeks of "album with one good single".









Fratellis - Here We Stand Less cockney-punk, more...uplifting? album from these jokers from Glasgow. Far better than Franz Ferdinand.









Does It Offend You Yeah? - You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into...I've liked these guys for a while but purely through remixes of We Are Rockstars, so we'll see what the album is like. Not new, but new to me.







Dexpistols - Lesson.04A nice snapshot of great electro from Tokyo's hipster djs of the moment. Educational indeed. Personal remixes of Digiki and The Lowbrows included.








2 many djs - Radio Soulwax Live: get yer yo yo's out pt.3I've gone a bit off 2 many djs as a live act, as they seem a bit sellout (which is sad seeing as they did so much for the mash-up movement), but they do tend to bring some good shit to my attention. You could say I bought this as a stepping stone or merely out of curiousity.

The Black Ghosts - Mixtape I don't actually like the Black Ghosts. I find the vocalist annoying, and the lyrics cheesy. Having said that, they do make good music. So I went with their mix album as opposed to the studio one. They're coming to World in Kyoto in July. Yay.






Simian Mobile Disco - Live In Japan I have reason to believe this album came out a few days before they actually played here last weekend, so I'm curious as to how this is "live". I missed the show (8pm didn't agree with me, and I was buggered), but I'm keen to check what I missed out on.


Portishead - Third I promised I'd buy it, didn't I? Now they owe me. Live tour including Osaka pleasethanks.










Justice - DJ Mix Leur Selection Justice doing what they originally became famous for - picking good songs and playing them in succession. It's like a talented version of Fatboy Slim. Nice collection of new and old here.







Pendulum - In Silico Just paying them back for a good 2nd album. Can't wait to see them in August.











Yum yum.

In other music news, Jason Mraz announced a tour of Japan to go with his Fuji Rock gig that includes Osaka (July 30) and surprisingly, Hiroshima. Guess he wants to see the Peace Park. Still, I'm happy. I was rueing not having the dough and leave from work to blow mindlessly on heading out to Niigata at the end of July. Now if only Underworld would plan a tour with Data, Switch and the Juggs, and I wouldn't even have a reason to regret missing Fuji.

5 comments:

His Whoreness said...

I'm sorry, you don't like Black Ghosts? Really? Simon Lord makes such catchy songs and the ones with his vocals are easily the better ones. I am loving I Want Nothing, Something New and especially Any Way You Choose To Give It after The Whip covered it in their set at We Love Sounds - I picked up the mixtape for $20 in Melbourne but haven't listened to it yet with all The Juan Maclean I've been indulging

Oh and Weird SCience is the better track off DOIYY's album with Epic Last Song coming in a decent third place after We Are Rockstars - would love to see these guys live

djbigted said...

I don't like I Want Nothing. Purely because of the way he sings "I-hee, want no-theeng, but the lourve of the next stranger that walks through that do-hoar-hoar...."
Funny how 4 words can make me form such an opinion.

DIOYY? are sounding great. Now I'm wondering why I hadn't picked up on this earlier. I think it's because I bunched them together with The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, whom I don't like. Funny how much a name can influence me.

NB: Neither of the above things are actually funny. It's just a phrase.

His Whoreness said...

Those are some hurtful words Tim - mighty hurtful words

On other news, Cut Copy have remixed Ladyhawke's Paris Is Burning - colour me intrigued - not all of their remixes have come off, but their remix of The Presets' Girl & The Sea is pretty good - if you say you hate that song I will claw out your eyes with my butch manly hands

djbigted said...

I like that...remix. ;)
I don't dislike the song. I just don't think its a single, and I struggle to understand how it fits on the album (but then, that album doesn't have any flow, just like Apocalypso).

PS. I just played Throw it in the Fire by The Whip at work and confused the hell out of my coworkers when I turned up the Japanese counting

Anonymous said...

Hey you know what?
I saw 5 out of the 10 artists you've introduced here at Coachella! Feels like I beat you for the first time in terms of music :D ...No, the first time was when I showed you the remix of Evermore!

でね、Does this offend you yeah?っていう人のステージ、めっちゃおもろかったよ!なんか黒人のメンバー?がパジャマみたいな服着て変な踊りしとった!Not really my type though. Probably you'll like it.

てかSimian Mobile Discoと2 many djsのアルバムよかったらまた貸してねー♪♪