Friday, May 18, 2007

So, that Chinese food...

Friday night. I used to like Friday nights. The whole weekend ahead of you. Now I'm only fond of Friday nights. This is mainly biased by the fact that have work tomorrow. It's hard to like any evening that precedes work. This is a feeling I think everyone learns about at the age of 7ish, and the dreaded concept of a "school-night". Though those words make for cool parody.

Cuisine in China so far hasn't been too taxing. Why, just the other day I had... well, there was McDonalds yesterday, KFC a few days ago, and today I ate...steak...

To be honest, this is driving me crazy - the guys I'm with are the dictators of not only my work, but essentially my biological intake. They decide what time and where I eat, and whether or not I'll get the chance to clean my teeth after breakfast, not to mention how long I'll sit waiting at the hotel restaurant table for everyone to finish, so we can pay the bill together and leave. I don't want to sit while they have 3 cigarettes - I want to go make the most of the small timespan I get to call an "evening".
What's more, with all the Chinese food I could be sampling and enjoying (or regurgitating, either way is an experience), my bosses aren't really partial to the stuff, and so we don't eat it. 90% of dinner is at the hotel, which has menus of Portuguese, Japanese, Italian, Malaysian/Indonesian, and even a grilled menu featuring American, and -yes- New Zealand beef...but precious little in authentic Chinese food. And then for lunch, well: I've had 11 lunches since I arrived; 3 McDonalds, 2 KFC, 3 Japanese, and 1 New Zealand sirloin (I HAD to, I can't even get that in Japan too easily). So just the 2 "Chinese" meals, and they were both "lunchbox takeaways" - not official restaurant stuff. I'd just go out and find something to eat myself, but where I am doesn't really give much in the way of escape routes so far. I will make it my quest later on to find a restaurant that serves me something that costs a buck, and makes me sick for a day. Bring it on.


This is, a tasty burger.


McDonalds in China isn't too bad - the fries are horrible, but the Big Macs are still Big Macs, and the Quarter Pounder actually has a chunky piece of meat (easy tiger), and some spicy sauce hidden inside. Check it out.





KFC, however, is just concerning.
The chicken's good (bar the obvious "Watch out! Bird Flu!" warning bells that ring in my head when I eat it). What got me, was the standard side was not fries (though you can ask for them), but PEAS. And not nice

One of these sides just doesn't belong.
fresh garden peas with melting butter, but slightly defrosted flaking peas in a sauce I can only assume is comprised of 2 parts peanut, 3 parts oil and 1 part vomit. MMM-mmm. Can't wait to get my ass back down to KFC for some o' those vomit peas. What do I look like, a friggin' baby bird?

What's more is, and maybe this is just my fault for not knowing the language, but I ordered what I thought was a standard chicken fillet burger. But oh no-sir! Lo and behold, when I sank my salivating canines into this mystery burger, I nearly retched. What, is this chicken mouldy? No, it's just mashed up and mixed with peas and carrots. It wasn't that bad by the time I finished it (the mayonnaise held it over), but certainly shock value there. Hey kids, let's eat a burger made of the kind of stuff we spoon-feed Grandpa!

Ahem. Waiter, there's crap in my burger.

Nah, I'd give up Maccas and the Colonel for good old Kiwi steak, and it's awesome to find it here. This is what I call a meal.

In other news (there's always "other news" with me), I decided to make use of my webcam (seeing as I can't use it for vidchat; the net here is far too slow). I figured I might try attaching a live pic of myself each time I post here. I hesitate to use the words "each time", because my habits change far too often to do anything by "routine". I mean, its a wonder I manage to leave my room at the same time every morning, wearing clothes and everything. Anyway, bon appetit.


PS. If I look tired, and you don't know why, go away. You're too stupid. You must be at least <----this----> smart to read my blog.

No comments: