Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's Getting Dark



Warning: This mix contains basslines that wobble more than your dad's jellyrolls.

The lack of dubstep on the last mix I made left a hole in me that I needed to fill, so I overcompensated and put together a dubstep mix last night.

Dubstep is a misunderstood genre - kinda like science fiction. Many people will lump anything with a wobbly bassline into the "dubstep" category, and though this is the defining feature (that and a speed of around 140bpm), its a bit like saying any book/movie set in outer space is a science fiction book. Not only does being a fan give you a bit of a rep, the bad habit that arises from this is that when you say you like dubstep people instantly assume you mean everything from the dark, hard stylings of Goth Trad, past the "clownstep" business that Jack Beats and Rusko love, out to the pop/electro dubstep remixes that have been making waves since Skream put out that La Roux remix.

I tend to prefer my dubstep without cheese nor minimal essence - and mostly without rap. MC Dynamite completely ruined Caspa's Rat-A-Tat Tat. My choices from the assorted menu tend to be dark bangers and those with emotional, melodic samples.
While I tried to keep any of the original, dated hits (which I still love) like Chase & Status's Saxon and Caspa's Remix of TC's Where's My Money?, I think this is a fairly good control sample of what I personally think makes dubstep worth listening to.

Enjoy! (mediafire)

Tracklisting

GTRONIC - Destroyer
Udachi - Jellyroll
Last Japan - Jungle Warrior (TEDD's "Eseya Huo" Remix)
Hostage - Badman Sound
DZ - Down
The Prodigy - Breathe (Numbernin6 Remix)
Datsik - Gizmo
Tek-One - Pressure
Mikey B. feat. Ill Bill Bachelor - Still Dre (Dubstep Fix)
Wachs Lyrical - Dark Entity VIP
Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Evol Intent Remix)
Mistabishi - Printer Jam (Barbarix Remix)
Reso - Beasts In The Basement
Emalkay - When I Look At You (Sduk Remix)
Reso - Onslaught
Deadmau5 - I Remember (Caspa Remix)
Teasers - Sooner Or Later (Jakwob Remix)
BONUS - Flight of The Conchords - The Most Beautiful Girl In The World (Kissy Klub DNB Version)

No comments: