Friday, February 15, 2008

Koosh!


I'm in China at the moment, on a brief mission to restore peace and order to our production and development. So far it's not going too well. China companies seem to have this disease that compels them to lie about the status of anything. More than anywhere in the world, "I'll believe it when I see it" is a code you have to live by.

After being in China for 6 months last year, I was itching to get some photos from inside the factories, showing exactly what it's like where all the products you know and love are made. You wanna know where that Happy Meal toy has been? I suggest you wash it before little Johnny puts it in his mouth.
Anyway, out of respect for the workers and the factory (and so as not to look like a spy) I refrained. I couldn't find adequate reason to ask permission; saying "I want to show it to the world" was more likely to get everyone a bit antsy.

There is one machine however that I finally plucked up the courage to ask about. Everyone at our supplier knows I'm in love with a particular device that happens to make Koosh balls from time to time, as I've often abandoned what I was checking out when we tour the workshops to stand mesmerised by it. Why do I want to film it? "Because it's just plain awesome." I didn't need to have a reason for this one.

The video doesn't do it justice - spaghetti ropes of elastic twisting around like some rainbow-coloured spinning wheel, it looks to me like it's doing gymnastics. Then a fastening of seatbelts, a flick of the switch, and the spaghetti explodes. Vanishes into thin air, leaving in its place a fun and safe projectile toy. I haven't tried to analyse it too hard, but I still can't figure out exactly what gets cut when it "explodes", nor why that makes it a Koosh ball shape. And I don't care. Frankly its magic to me.

Thanks Hasbro - I hate your attitude towards Scrabulous, but you make some neat toys.

Enjoy.

4 comments:

evawing said...

Good grief, that is magic.

Dee said...

You should try sometime to make old fashioned pompoms. Y'know, the type old people put at the top of hats. It looks like a slightly similar process. Sure, pompoms take a lot longer when you are doing them by hand, but it's the same difference.

Glad to see you posting again. Hello in Argentina!

Sarah-Rose said...

I ... but ... man that's cool.

Unknown said...

That's so rad. I keep watching it.