Sunday, February 10, 2008

Finally!

On my third attempt, I finally managed to get this on camera.
It occurs every morning at my company, like many traditionalist companies across Japan.

I'm kinda happy the quality is bad and I don't really infringe on anyone's privacy with it, because after all, I did record it candidly. There's no way they'd agree to let me to if they had known.

Anyway, without further ado I present to you, straight outta the wops in South Osaka, the much awaited (well, by me), Radio-Taisou (aerobics) morning routine!



Check out that soundtrack. That's from dubya dubya two, that is. Nearly 70 years and they still haven't updated that song. Though there are 2 or 3 "movements" to it (the second one is actually kinda scary). Number 1 (featured) is the most famous. There isn't a kid in Japan who doesn't know (and probably loathe) this song.

Can you imagine them trying to get kids to do this in any English speaking country? And yet even 40 year old somewhat-masculine guys here don't complain. Nor do they have any sense of rhythm, as you can see.
FYI, I'm the one who comes down and faces forwards quite far from the camera. You can't see me after everyone closer by arrives.

After the taisou is the morning meeting, which I cut out for boredom/privacy. Move along, nothing to see here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had an intensive ラジオ体操 practice at the beginning of each academic year of elementary school, so that we could've learnt to do it more beautifully. (You know it's so hard to do it "properly", right? There's a bunch of trivial rules of how you move your body for each movement!)
But I heard ラジオ体操 was originally created to promote collective leadership and patriotism in Japan before the WWII, and looks like it's still working.
っていうかティモシーさんこん中に写ってるん??

Unknown said...

So for the meeting at the end, after the "Miinasan ohayougozaimasu" (I think), everyone started bowing and saying something repeatedly. Explain! :)