Thursday, January 17, 2008

No More Scrabulous?

Sure I'm winning, but it's his turn...
I wonder if the health insurance ad is a sign Google thinks
I'm going to need depression meds after Greg kicks my ass?


Man, I'm really sick of the words "copyright infringement".
Scrabulous, the addictive scrabble-knock-off that is consuming all my free time at work has come under threat of lawsuit by toy giants Hasbro & Mattel for violating copyright laws(article here).
What I find surprising is that it seems they want the game removed, rather than asking for a percentage of profits from advertising, though they may have and Reuters might have left that out.

Scrabble is a classic game that is undergoing a Renaissance at the moment thanks to the beauty of online gaming. I can only see the game boosting sales of the live board version, as it grows a new young audience who might like to play in real life. I'm sure Microsoft's Internet Hearts never brought ire from playing card companies. Just feels like a bit of tall poppy syndrome. The first thing I'd be thinking if I owned the rights would be "alright, lets make ourselves some money off this thing."

FYI, my best bingo so far was SATIABLY for 92 points. I've played 6 games without loss (though Greg here threatens that), and am currently winning 4 of my 5 active games. Scrabulous is fun, by far the best game application on Facebook, and you'd hope Hasbro & Mattel aren't going to spoil the party just because they weren't invited originally.
If you're on Facebook, I'm up for a game when you are.

No comments: