Thursday, December 04, 2008

Top 8 of 08: Movies

Warning: This list is a relative flop.

Top Films of 2008 (That I managed to see):


8. "Baby Mama" - I know it flopped, but it was far superior to Get Smart and other comedies featuring ex-SNL stars. Fey vs. Poehler is my favourite female comedian combination.

7. "Horton Hears a Who" - Decent adaptation and with all the good humour that adults help to sneakily get out of a kid's movie.


6. "The Magic Hour" - Japanese film by the inimitable Kouki Mitani, set in a faux-1920s about a bumbling idiot who angers a Yakuza boss and has to use a washed-up actor to bluff his way out of trouble.


5. "Son of Rambow" - a schoolground bully and a reject team up to remake Rambo. Think Billy Elliot with more blood (well, and better).


4. "El Orfanato" (The Orphanage) - Spanish thriller about a woman who goes to live in the house that was her orphanage when she was young, only to find the past was waiting for her. Beautifully shot, well told, and jumpy. Avoids the "serial thriller" label well.

3. "Wall-E" - Classic Pixar. A few moments in it made me think it was a bit sell-out, but that was only because the flow of the movie changes quite a bit and in the end it's just a great piece of work.

2. "Iron Man" - Scores higher than Wall-E for dry RDJ lines, fantastic graphics and for restoring everyone's faith in Marvel comic movies.

1. "The Dark Knight" - Not many movies get watched by me more than the 5 times I've seen this, which puts it in good company with LOTR: ROTK, Fight Club and The Matrix. If Gladiator can win best picture, TDK should sweep.

The list feels a bit lacking to me, but that's mostly because Japan doesn't get half the quality movies available around the world (hence I have to wait for DVDs), and when they do they tend to be up to 6 months late. There's a much more promising list of movies of 2008 I want to see:
- Burn After Reading
- Man on Wire
- Quantum of Solace
- Body of Lies
- Be Kind Rewind
- Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
- The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
- Synecdoche, New York
Perhaps the original list is a mite premature.

6 comments:

His Whoreness said...

I don't know that I've seen eight films this year

Mr Chris said...

I've stopped keeping track of what I go to and haven't seen quite a few of this year's "must see" films. My end of the year film list might be a bit lacking this year.

Anonymous said...

hombre Guillermo del Toro es un genio verdad?
てかROTKってなにー?

djbigted said...

Mio > si verdad! Me gusta mucho.
ROTK = (ボ)オウの帰還...

Anonymous said...

Guillermo Del toro is a genius indeed. El Orfanata rocked. Thanks Tim.

Unknown said...

Be Kind Rewind and Walk Hard are very entertaining. :)