Friday, November 14, 2008

Deadly on a Mission

Warning: This post begins the backlog.

So there's been a bit going on of late. We had a trip to the States for work (fun but not worth blogging), a trip to Hong Kong (worth blogging), and a bunch of other shenanigans. But for the sake of (belated) chronology, let's cast our minds back to the weekend before Halloween, which was as far as the clubs in Osaka were concerned, was Halloween too.

There was a pub crawl going on in town that myself and some mates attempted to attend, but we had a slight conflict of interest: Alex Metric from Marine Parade (who brought you Adam Freeland and Evil Nine) was playing at Onzieme 11. So we did a bit of both, but in the end the night was all about that.
The pre-gig drinks were at the now-defunct Herb bar, and we bumped into a bunch of trick-or-treaters in the cramped space. Japan is big on Halloween- I'm assuming they might be next after the US and Canada. Not much in the way of pumpkin carving, but they throw one hell of a good club night - probably a bigger evening than New Years, mainly because so many people go to temples on that night instead.

My mate Mark loaned me his rather homo-erotic panther suit, which was hotter than hell and a bit short in the leg department (but extremely comfortable, thanks to the baggy middle). 6,000yen or so from Tokyu Hands. Also, dressing up as a furry animal will get you more attention from women than if you were Brad's stunt double.

Off to Onzieme around 11, though like any good country, the party didn't really get started til after midnight. Call me old-fashioned, but parties that start at 10pm feel a bit like high school socials, while ones that start at 5am are just a bit silly, really. I'd prefer to leave round 4, sleep til 12 and still have half a Sunday before work.

I was completely out of it by the end of the evening (tequila may have played a cameo role), but I was focussed enough to give it a good go on the dancefloor. The guy was nice enough to drop Evil Nine's They Live! (Roger Seventytwo Remix), which kicked as much as I hoped. His own track Deadly on a Mission also went a lot farther live than I had previously given it credit. Finishing on a sweet high with Free Things (Alex Metric Remix) by Infadels was the perfect way to go out.
Videos courtesy of Mio's fantastic little Lumix DMC...



Tried to have a chat with the guy afterwards - genuinely nice young man - but I think I came off sounding like a spaced-out lunatic. I must refrain from trying to meet famous people at 4am when I'm off my face. Doesn't really leave the right impression. Still, we did get pictures out of it.

Full credit to the Gaidai crew who came down for the gig - we had a posse of around 13, the most people I've ever hit an electro event with. Dancefloor domination! Looking forward to the next one - Steve Aoki in December, anyone?
Slightly unfocussed? That's us.

No comments: